Newsletter on Regulation Concerning Electricity Market Storage Activities
The Regulation Concerning Electricity Market Storage Activities (“Regulation“) has been published by the Energy Market Regulatory Authority (“EMRA“) on the Official Gazette numbered 31479 and dated 09.05.2021. The Regulation determines the procedures and principles regarding the establishment of electricity storage units or facilities, their connection to the transmission or distribution system and the use of these units or facilities in market activities within the scope of the Electricity Market Law dated 14.03.2013 and numbered 6446.
- General Considerations Regarding Electricity Storage
In accordance with Article 4 of the Regulation, electricity storage facility activities that can store electrical energy and deliver the stored energy to the system can be carried out through:
- an electricity storage unit integrated with the generation facility,
- an electricity storage facility integrated with the consumption facility,
- an independent electricity storage facility or
- an electricity storage facility that can be established by the network operators.
- Electricity Storage Facilities Integrated with the Generation Facility
Subject to the following rules, an integrated storage facility can be established in the production facility:
- Generation license holder legal entities can establish an integrated electricity storage unit in a licensed generation facility in a manner that does not exceed the electrical installed power included in the license of the generation facility.
- Generation license holder legal entities benefiting from the renewable energy resources support mechanism (“YEKDEM“) or any other support mechanism that is paid or guaranteed for the energy it generates, may establish an integrated electricity storage unit at the same measurement point and not exceeding the electrical installed power.
- Electricity Storage Facilities Integrated with the Consumption Facility
Subject to the following rules, an integrated storage facility can be established in the consumption facility:
- By the customers, an electricity storage facility can be established provided that:
- the appropriate connection opinion is given by the relevant network operator;
- the installed power does not exceed the contractual power of the relevant consumption facility stated in the connection agreement and
- being at the same measurement point.
- An integrated electricity storage facility with the consumption facility can be established in the generation facilities based on renewable energy resources, which use all the energy it generates without giving it to the transmission or distribution system, and whose production and consumption are at the same measurement point.
In addition to the above, the storage facilities established in the zone by the organized industrial zone legal entities are considered as storage facilities integrated with the consumption facility.
- Detached Storage Facilities
Detached storage facilities regulated under Article 7 of the Regulation can only be established by the supply license holders on the condition of not less than 2 MW of installed power.
- Storage Facilities of Distribution Companies
Pursuant to Article 8 of the Regulation, distribution companies may establish the electricity storage facility within their investment plans subject to the approval of the EMRA, provided that they prove that it is more economical than the new network investment by supporting it with economic cost-benefit analysis. The said storage facilities cannot be used except for distribution activities such as wholesale and retail electricity sales and the balancing power market, in which other market participants can also participate.
No action is taken by EMRA regarding the land acquisition and establishment of rightof use for storage and connection facilities, except for the integrated electricity storage units to be established by the distribution companies.
Within the scope of the Regulation, the technical criteria regarding the usage of the electricity storage facilities will be determined according to the technical criteria to be prepared and announced by TEİAŞ.